“Our professional qualification is designed in consultation with some of the industry’s leading Chefs. Throughout this qualification, students will learn the skills and knowledge required to cook in a professional kitchen environment, and gain the keys to a successful career in the industry.”
WHAT CAN I DO WITH MY QUALIFICATION?
Assosiate chef, Executive chef, Head chef, Pastry chef, Private chef to the stars, Private Game Lodge chef, Super yacht or Cruise liner chef.
Business entrepreneur, Restauranteur, Catering Company, Artisan Bakery, Organic Cafe, Hipster hide-out’s
Professional food stylist to in-store fresh produce specialist, International food photographer, Food writer for leading publications or Food blogger. Internationally acclaimed culinary lecturer or the ultimate Domestic Goddess or Braai Master!
ABOUT THE FULL-TIME COURSE
The Mills Culinary Academy, offers custom designed chef practical and lecturing facilities. 70% of our tuition is towards the practical training, as we believe this provides students with the fundamental Basic Skills Foundationfor the ‘real kitchens’ as well as allowing them the freedom to explore new techniques and trends within our fabulous food service industry. We impart on our student chefs the confidence to experiment more & more with ‘home-grown flavors’ & traditional ‘veld kos’.
Brent Mills wrote: “Inquisitiveness? Imagination? Curiosity? Determination? Desire? Courage? Passion? Honesty? & Truth?… What is the correct word for that uniquely human quality that keeps pushing us to step out of the coziness of our everyday activities & jump into a world of a whole lot of hard work?” The Mills Academy has shown that jumping in ‘at the deep end’, complicating one’s life & taking on hard-work can be tremendously rewarding. “That’s when we knew it’s time to take on the next challenge…& that’s how The Mills Culinary Academy came about!”
WE CONCENTRATE ON A “FINAL EXAM – FOOD SERVICE ESTABLISHMENT PROJECT“, INCLUDING:
- Menu planning: wine list, cocktails, spirits, micro-brewery and wine education classes
- Business Management & Finance; income statements, costing, purchasing, managing invoicing, suppliers and customers
- Food Technology, nutrition, hygiene and the history of food
- Nutrition, Health & Special dietary needs
- Conceptual Elements such as: food service establishment design, kitchen and restaurant layout, food journalism and media as well as Professional food photography.
- Our Organic garden & ‘Veldkos’ programme will keep students busy with ‘The Seed to Plate’ project of planting, picking, identifying & processing plants, herbs & flowers – to ensure that you know your dishes always contain the freshest local, seasonal & Organic elements
- Raw Food & Fermented Foods with local experts and passionate foodies who educates our students on all genres of alternate & quirky ingredients & how to use them
- We also conduct extensive courses in: Barista coffee making, Cheese making, Artisan bread baking, ‘sugar art’ and chocolate workshops, before doing boththeoretical and practical final exams.
- Farinaceous dishes
- Fish & shellfish
- Hors d’oeuvres, cocktails & canapés
- Meat, poultry and game
- Pastries, desserts & confectionary
- Stocks, sauces & dressing
- Terrine dishes
- Vegetables & salads
- Menu planning, compilation & Design
- Professional kitchen skills
- Yeast Products
- Food technology
- Business management – catering & restaurant
- Extensive wine course – this will be running over the full 12 months
- First aid & Firefighting certificates
- Organic gardening
- Front Of House (F.O.H.) training (incl silver service)
- Pottery course & Food styling
- Cheese & Yoghurt making
- Food photography and Food media
- Restaurant set-up & Design including layout
- Barista Course
At the end of the day, it’s not only a holistic, well trained, skilled, professional chef we are training…we also want a well-educated business owner.
SOUTH AFRICA AND AFRICA
South Africa and Africa is experiencing a revival of the culinary arts. This is no more obvious than what we see in the form of food expos where international celebrity chefs of the likes of Gordon Ramsay and Bill Granger appear. The standard of South African restaurant is at a new and exciting level, competing on an international stage. South Africa and Africa boast some of the best food produces in the world which is endorsed by Gordon Ramsay with Checkers. Entering the culinary arts fraternity now will open your eyes and mind to a new world of opportunities which before has never been experienced.
A career as a professional chef is challenging but also immensely rewarding. Professional cookery, as many celebrity chefs have shown, is a highly creative activity and one that demands dedication, creativity and flair.
THINGS TO LOOK FORWARD TO:
‘Organic Garden Project’ – cultivating organic seeds to harvesting your own basket of Organic edibles
‘Learn to Surf J’Bay‘ the best waves in the World…as part of the Mills Academy ‘Student Life Experience’.
The Joshua Project & St.Francis Hospice social upliftment feeding scheme – providing the daily bread for the needy.